February 28, 2017
Leave a Comment
March 22, 2016
Leave a Comment
March 16, 2015
City of Memphis Division of Parks & Neighborhoods free Spring Break Wellness Mini-Camp for youth at the City’s 25 community centers
MEMPHIS, TN (March 12, 2015) – Memphis community centers are offering Memphis youth a free Spring Break Wellness Mini-Camp experience during spring break week. We encourage parents and guardians to allow their children to attend and participate at one of the city’s 25 community center locations.
Spring Break Youth Wellness Mini-Camps will be open to all Memphis youth at no charge. Meals will be provided daily through the Shelby County Schools—Division of Nutritional Services. Youth will partake in various activities within our three core service areas of: Health, Fitness & Wellness; Educational and Character Development; and Cultural Arts and Expressions.
Activities may vary across centers, but will generally include sports, games, playground games, general fitness exercises, cultural arts, musical/dance expression, health and fitness awareness programs, mentoring and character building exposures, computer, reading and learning experiences, and an array of other engaging exposures for the youth.
Dates: March 16—March 20, 2015
Hours: 8:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.; Monday – Friday
Costs — No Fees (Free)
City of Memphis Youth; ages 5 – 17
All City of Memphis Community Centers and the Raymond Skinner Developmental Center
NO Formal Registration — participants are required to sign-in
City of Memphis SPRING BREAK YOUTH WELLNESS MINI-CAMPS March 16—20, 2015 Monday—Friday 8:30 am—6:00 pm COMMUNITY CENTERS Community Centers
Bert Ferguson 8505 Trinity Rd, 38018 901-309-1761
Bickford 233 Henry, 38108 901-527-8752
Charles Powell – Westwood 810 Western Park, 38109 901-785-5975
Cunningham 3773 Old Allen, 38128 901-377-3037
Dave Wells 915 Chelsea, 38107 901-526-7193
Davis 3371 Spottswood, 38111 901-323-8015
Douglass 1616 Ash, 38108 901-327-6131
Ed Rice 2907 N. Watkins, 38127 901-357-6919
Gaisman 4221 Macon, 38122 901-682-6161
Gaston 1048 S. Third, 38106 901-774-4156
Glenview 1141 S. Barksdale, 38114 901-576-7080
Hickory Hill 3910 Ridgeway Rd, 38115 901-566-9685
Hollywood 1560 N. Hollywood, 38108 901-458-4084
Katie H. Sexton 1235 Brown, 38107 901-576-7070
Lester 317 Tillman, 38112 901-324-2639
Marion Hale 4791 Willow, 38117 901-685-8120
McFarland 4955 Cottonwood, 38118 901-362-8350
Mitchell 602 West Mitchell, 38109 901-789-2927
North Frayser 2555 St. Elmo, 38127 901-353-9419
Orange Mound 2572 Park, 38111 901-576-6878
Pine Hill 973 Alice, 38106 901-774-7950
Raleigh 3678 Powers, 38128 901-372-2085
*Raymond Skinner Center 712 Tanglewood, 38104 901-272-2528
Riverview 1891 Kansas, 38109 901-774-3041
Whitehaven 4318 Graceland, 38116 901-332-0783
For more information contact the nearest Community Center in your area. *The Raymond Skinner Center is designated, and provides services, for participants with special needs.
March 7, 2014
Spring into a Break with Us! Spring Break Activities with the Memphis Public Library & Information CenterPosted by Tecia "Lucy" Marshall under Camps, Community Info., Education, Health Fairs, Outreach, Special Events, Technology, Volunteer Opportunities, Workshops, Youth Services | Tags: activities, art show, arts, arts and crafts, bartlett, benjamin hooks, camps, Central, child, children, Computer, computers, crafts, Dixon Gallery, education, gadgets, gardening, kids, legal clinic, libraries, library, Memphis, movies, origami, outside, preschool, reading, seeds, small business, spring break, spring cleaning, start ups, story time, students, tech, technology, workshops |
Leave a Comment
- Preschool Storytime (ages 2-5) March 12 and 13 @10:15 and 11:15 am both days; call to register.
- Tunes and Tales (ages 4 – 11) with a Create a Craft Session March 8 @11 amMusical Performance by Memphis Symphony’s String Quartet; call to register.
- Computer Basics Class for Adults March 14 @ 1 pm
- Free Saturday Legal Clinics for Adults March 8 @10 am in Meeting Rooms A, B, and C
- Family Tunes and Tales (ages 4 and older) March 8 @11 am Musical Performance by Memphis Symphony Orchestra Roxaboxen
- The “A to Z of Used Car Buying” for Adults sponsored by Autozone March 8@11:15 am and @noon in First Floor Magazine Area
- Paws for Reading March 8 @1pm Children read with trained READ therapy dog Teva
- Literacy Through Steampunk March 8 @3 pm in L-56 Part of Teen Tech Week activities
- Preschool Storytime (ages 3- 5) March 10 @10:15 am
- Crafternoon – Crafts + Books = FUN March 10 @3:30 pm (ages 6-12)
- Central Reader’s Club (Memphis and the Super Flood of 1937 by Patrick O’Daniel)
March 10 @6:30 pm in the Humanities Department
- Baby and Books March 11 @10:15 am
- Internet Basics for Adults March 11 @10 am
- Teen Tech Tuesday March 11 @2:30 pm in L-56 Teens celebrate Teen Tech Week with the latest gadgets and gizmos to produce a movie, arrange a song, and write a book. Call 415-2739 for details.
- Toddler Story Time March12 @10:15 am (ages 18-36 months) in Children’s Department
- Wider Angle Film Series (Broken directed by Rufus Norris) March 12 @6 pm in the Humantities Department
- Preschool Storytime March 13 @10:15 am (ages 3 – 5)
- Dixon Gallery’s Art to Grow: Stained Glass a la Marc Chagall March 13
@1:30 pm (ages 6 and older) Groups must register by calling 415-2700
- Small Business Start-Up March 13
@6 pm in Business/Sciences Department, third floor
- Paws for Reading March 15 @1pm Children read with trained READ therapy dog Olly. Hablan espanol e ingles.
- Tunes and Tales Woodwind Quartet March 8 @11 am (for children)
- Internet Basics Class for Adults March 12 @10 am
- International Storytime Celebrating Poland March 15 @11 am (ages 4- 11)
- Spring Cleaning at Crenshaw March 12 @10:30 am Children and teens pick up litter and clean up and enjoy a pizza party following.
- Miz Crenshaw’s Farmers Market March 13 @10:30 am Children eat fruits and veggies from the farmer’s market named for Mrs. Cornelia Crenshaw. UT Extension Program guest Rita Jackson will read to the children and provide coloring booklets and recipe cards to parents.
East Shelby (415-2767)
- Preschool Storytime March 8 @1 pm
Gaston Park (415-2769)
- It’s All About Matter March 11 @11 am With this introduction to chemistry, kids ages 8 and up will explore the concept of matter changing using root beer floats and balloon racing.
- I Am A Builder March 12 @ 11 am With this introduction to engineering, children ages 5 and up will design geometric spaces using marshmallows, gumdrops, toothpicks, and plastic straws.
- I Can’t Believe My Eyes March 13 @ 11 am With this introduction to biology, children ages 8 and older will learn how to use a microscope and conduct simple experiments.
Parkway Village (415-2776)
- Towel Origami March 11 @3 pm Adults make their own whimsical animals from towels like ones seen on cruise ships
- Children’s Movie Day March 12 @2 pm Children will enjoy a movie and refreshments.
- Teen Yu-Gi-Oh! March 13 @2 pm Teens battle for championship as they play this popular game.
Raleigh (415-2778) Registration required for activities below.
- Art to Grow March 10 @10:30 am
- Print It, Stamp It, Make It Your Own March 11 @10:30 am
- Slime and Other Science Fun March 12 @10:30 am
- My Green Thumb March 13 @10:30 am
- Computer Basics March 11 @10 am
- Seed Seedling Swap for Adults March 8 @11 am
March 6, 2014
Leave a Comment
Spring Break is Next Week!
Join TODAY and Bring Your Family to
The Pink Palace Family of Museums!
|What are you going to do with your kids next week? How about go to the Pink Palace Museum, Lichterman Nature Center or the Mallory-Neely House?
Come to the Pink Palace Museum on March 8th for the grand opening of our CTI 3D Giant Theater! There will be door prizes and free exhibit tickets with purchase of a ticket to Flight of the Butterflies 3D. This is a fabulous movie. Great for the whole family. Also showing at 2 pm will be Tornado Alley 3D. If you saw this movie when we showed it in 2012 you will remember how exciting it is. This time it will be in 3D! Later, in April, we will bring in Jerusalem 3D to the CTI 3D Giant Theater.By the way, if you would like to attend the opening parties for Flight of the Butterflies 3D and Jerusalem 3Dyou MUST join at the Club Level or above before March 7th!
Also at the Pink Palace this month is RACE: Are We So Different . This is a wonderful exhibit that brings together the everyday experience of living with race, its history as an idea, the role of science in that history, and the findings of contemporary science that are challenging its foundations. It is a must see exhibit.
You can also spend the night in the Museum! We are holding anotherCamp In on March 21-22. Get Information and Register.
If you have not visited recently, you have not see all the changes that are planned for the Pink Palace Museum. The renovation of the CTI Theater is just the beginning. Next will be the Planetarium this Fall. It will be changed into the Full Dome Theater and have all new digital equipment and new seats. You can see a display of all the changes the next time you visit.
If you want to stretch your legs and let your kids run off the excess energy, you should head over to the Lichterman Nature Center and walk the trails next week.
Click to read more about all the special events that we are planning.
What You Get in a Membership…
Your membership benefits include admission and discounts to the Pink Palace Museum, CTI 3D Giant Theater, Sharpe Planetarium, Lichterman Nature Center, and our Historic Homes. By using your reciprocal benefits when
traveling, you can also take advantage of free or discounted admission to over 300 participating museums around the U.S. and even more worldwide. (astc.org) All regular membership levels also come with passes to CTI 3D Movies and the Planetarium. The number of passes depends on your membership level. You also receive a 10% discount in our Museum Store and at Bella Caffe. Please visit our Membership Page onwww.memphismuseums.org to see your membership options, prices, and benefits, or call or come by the Membership Office. Call for details. 901-636-2406
March 2, 2014
Leave a Comment
Spring Break Camps at the Garden!
There’s still time to sign up for Spring Break Fun at the Garden!
Memphis Botanic Garden
Spend the day enjoying garden games, outdoor explorations, hands-on crafts, and more!
Activities will vary, so choose individual dates or join us for all five!
Monday: Fun in the Sun
Tuesday: Backyard Buddies
Wednesday: Flower Power
Thursday: Garden Detective
Friday: Wilderness Explorer
Non-members $35per day/$150 per week
Snack provided, children will need to bring a sack lunch.
Call 636-4126 to register or sign up online now!
Teens & Tweens: Get grooving and hooping in the Garden!
Spring Break Hoop Camp
Go beyond waist-hooping by learning the weave, vortex, and other simple, flowing moves. Integrate the hoop into nature, science, gardening, and nutrition. Make beautiful take-home projects including your own hula hoop! Show off your moves at the end of the week at the big finale.
Sign up online or call 636-4131 to register.
Garden members $160
Grab some lunch and enjoy family play time in the Garden!