Comcast Job Posting Title: CommTech 1, Installation and Service
Division/Entity: Comcast Cable – Central Division
Department: Technical Operations
Project: Responsible for demonstrating a sufficient aptitude for acquiring the skills and knowledge involved in the competent performance of the tasks relating to broadband installation and troubleshooting activities. Provides written and field assessments, meeting/exceeding Comcast Employee Standards, and supervisor approval will be used to determine advancement to the next level.
Functions in an entry-level, trainee position with an increasing degree of proficiency and decreasing degree of supervision with regard to those skills and tasks for which training and instruction are received during tenure in this position. This position is typically the start of the employee’s telecommunications career. Continued employment is contingent upon achieving required training, certifications, and safety requirements.
– Performs reconnects, requested and non-pay disconnects, and changes of service, while adhering to: Comcast procedures and safe work practices, NEC and NESC requirements, and local ordinances in order to provide (or remove) services to the customer. Pre-wires single dwelling units and multiple dwelling units (MDUs) in order to provide “”ready hook-up”” capabilities at the time of movie in. Completes associated paperwork with each work order in a timely manner in order to ensure all details of the work
– Performs service calls. Reviews all requested services with the customer in order to ensure understanding and agreement. Troubleshoots the drop from the tap to the customer#s equipment.
Installs and removes converters in order to provide customer with upgrades or downgrades in service and determines acceptability of service by reviewing picture quality following connection of cable service in order to provide the best possible service for the customer.
– Provides the customer with materials regarding channel line up, use of converter, and company policies as they relate to the customer as well as demonstrates these skills in order to educate the customer on the use of the equipment and company guidelines.
– Cleans, maintains, and stocks vehicle and equipment in order to be prepared to perform required duties. Inspects existing ground or makes new ground according to the National Electrical Code
Function Field Operations
Family Installation & Service
(NEC) in order to protect employees, customers, and equipment from electrical shock or damage.
– Properly operates and maintains installation tools and equipment. Reports need for vehicle repair or service when required and/or prescribed. Reports any accidents, losses, injuries, or property damage to Supervisor and customer when appropriate.
– Applies knowledge and skills of training on the job in order to prepare for transition to the next level and performs other duties as requested by Supervisor in order to achieve departmental goals and objectives.
– Ability to use basic cable installation tools and hand tools and perform jobs from high places (on poles and roofs,) including climbing poles with proper equipment (safety belt, strap, climbers) ladders, and bucket trucks (18 to 20 feet,) as determined by the system#s requirements. Reads general system layouts from blueprints, basic knowledge of mathematics, cable television products and services. – Knowledge of the National Electrical Code (NEC,) the National Electrical Safety Code (NESC,) the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA), various state and local codes including G.O. 95 and G.O. 128, (when applicable,) and the policies and procedures for CATV installation activities.
– Communicates with customers in a clear and straight forward manner. Proven ability to work independently and to prioritize and organize effectively. – Manipulates connectors, fasteners, wire and use hand tools, works in areas with exposure to moderate noise levels. – Lifts and carries loads of 70 lbs or more, works in confined spaces such as crawl spaces or attics, works while standing 50 – 70% of the time and performs work near power lines and electricity. – Drives company vehicle in performance of duties in a safe and responsible manner while working and traveling in inclement weather.
– Vision ability: close vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus and able to manipulate objects such as pens, keyboard and mouse. – Normal work shift may include weekends; may include 10 hour days for 4 days a week and available to work overtime including weekends, evenings and holidays. – Exposure to moderate noise level, dogs or other animals, construction areas, or the public in general, may be a concern.
– Able to apply common sense, theory, and experience to decision-making; able to recognize similarities between past and present situation; able to identify key issues or use inductive reasoning in complex situations and to communicate courteously and pro-actively; able to learn customers# short term and long term needs; see issues from customers# position, and recommend products or service; able to promote customer focus in employees and develop partnerships with customers. –
Able to persist and finish projects despite obstacles, or redirect when necessary; able to follow instructions or take action and address opportunities with little supervision; able to take extra steps to prevent mistakes or create opportunities.
– Able to use active listening skills or attend to non-verbal cues to better understand others# perspectives, behaviors or motivations; able to empathize with others# needs and respond sensitively; able to use good judgment when responding and respond to objections successfully. –
Completion of 45 days (maximum) of service employees must complete the certification as required.
The employee must have successfully completed the following training programs, Safety Program, Company-specific training on policies and procedures, Installer Training, Customer Contact, Product Knowledge and Sales. After the initial 45 days, an employee may be advanced to the next level provided that there has been satisfactory development of the necessary skills and ability to perform the above tasks as determined by the certification assessments including passing the written assessment, skills assessment and meet Comcast Employee Standards, and supervisor#s approval.
– Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) and overtime as necessary.
High School or Equivalent
Generally requires 0-2 years related experience