|Employment Specialist – Memphis, TN
December 22, 2011
Leave a Comment
TITLE: Associate Executive Director (AED)
REPORTS TO: Executive Director of Memphis Shelby Crime Commission
OVERVIEW: The Memphis Shelby Crime Commission (MSCC) is a nonprofit, 501c3 organization which serves as the quarterbacking agency for Operation: Safe Community (OSC), Memphis and Shelby County’s comprehensive plan to reduce crime and the public safety arm of the Memphis Fast Forward initiative. Led by a high profile multi-sector board of directors, the MSCC oversees and facilitates the development and implementation of the plan and will roll out phase two in January 2012.
The Associate Executive Director (AED) position will be the number two staff person responsible for the successful implementation of the plan, and is expected to perform a highly complex project management function involving driving multiple projects, each involving multiple community leaders and stakeholders, to successful outcomes. The AED will for the immediate future have primary responsibility for implementation of Goal Five: Reduce Youth Violence, the largest segment of the plan and which was established in partnership with the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) where Memphis was selected as one of 6 cities to participate in the National Forum on Youth Violence Prevention. The AED will be the primary contact with the Department of Justice leadership team, and will be responsible for producing and sharing regular progress reports and learnings with the DOJ and ‘peer city’ leaders, and ensuring that the Memphis work is successful and viewed as such by these and all of OSC stakeholders.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supports development, refinement and implementation of all initiatives of the OSC plan, with lead responsibility for successful implementation of Goal Five: Reduce Youth Violence.
- Serves as primary liaison and implementer for all projects and activities generated through the Department of Justice Forum on Youth Violence Prevention, including attending and coordinating local participation in Forum conferences and meetings as well as DOJ site visits to Memphis.
- Establishes vehicles (meeting schedule, report templates, etc.) with leaders/teams for each of the Goal Five strategies and action items through which to 1) monitor progress against their respective action plans and produce quarterly reports, 2) refine action plans as needed, 3) problem solve challenges, and 4) ensure they have participation from all parties essential to their success.
- Prepares and presents regular reports on progress, including challenges and accomplishments, for MSCC executive director and board of directors, DOJ Forum stakeholders, and other stakeholder groups.
- Represents MSCC in the community as a public spokesperson and at various meetings, as needed.
- Works with agency ED to coordinate Goal Five strategies and action plans with other OSC goals, as appropriate and productive.
- Works with Marketing and Community Relations Manager to promote the work of various strategies and project teams.
- In the absence of the ED and when so assigned, performs the functions of the MSCC ED.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Ability to thoughtfully communicate with and respectfully engage diverse stakeholders around a shared vision for achieving results
- Superior ability to lead transformations that involve multiple stakeholders, constituencies, and/or agencies
- Track record of developing and managing high-performing project teams, establishing targets and delivering measureable results
- Ability to maintain focus, and keep team members focused, where multiple agendas and tendency toward mission creep pose a risk to success
- Direct experience working with government and/or private sector leaders
- A Bachelor’s degree required. Masters level training in Criminal Justice, Public/Business Administration, Public Policy or Urban Planning preferred. Minimum of five years’ experience with responsibilities relevant to duties
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to excel at details, multi-tasking and working under pressure
- Must have some experience and skilled in the use of software programs such as MS Word, ACCESS, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Excellent interpersonal skills and can work as a member of a team
- Must have reliable transportation daily to travel within the city and to travel within the state and out-of state on occasion
Approximate salary $80,000-$85,000
Memphis Shelby Crime Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Memphis Shelby Crime Commission
Spearheading Operation: Safe Community
600 Jefferson Avenue, Suite 400
Memphis, TN 38105
Please, send resume with cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5pm Wednesday, January 4th.