Notice Only – Do Not Apply Online (See How To Apply Below)
POSITION: POLICE RADIO DISPATCHER– (30 Openings) ANNUAL SALARY: $40,630.20 – $52,231.40; BI-WEEKLY: $1,562.70 – $2,008.90 Police Services/Communications J.O. #15-100
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Works under the general direction of an assigned supervisor in the E-911 PSAP/Communications Service Center, Police Services. Operates a computer-aided telephone, dispatch and digital trunked simulcast radio system in order to provide emergency and routine dispatcher services to officers and the public.
- Collects and records information received by documenting the nature of the call, location and circumstances of the call, description of the responsible parties and/or suspects, and the name and number of the caller.
- Determines the order of response to emergency and non-emergency calls based on available resources.
- Researches geographical information to assist Police Officers in responding to emergency and non-emergency calls.
- Maintains status of field units through the use of the CAD system via trunked radio system.
- Broadcasts information in order to dispatch units and to provide descriptions of suspects; monitors travel and scene times in order to evaluate unit status and determine officers’ safety.
- Updates various lists and files in order to secure required wrecker and ambulance services and to have accurate and timely information available for callers requesting service.
- Attains and maintains State of Tennessee certification through approved training for public safety dispatcher on the National Crime Information Center (NCIC)/Tennessee Information Enforcement Systems (TIES)/National Law Enforcement Telecommunications Systems (NLETS).
- Provides Police Officers with information on stolen vehicles, wanted persons, criminal history, etc. by accessing the TIES, NCIC and NLETS databases and enters information into and responds to inquiries from other law enforcement agencies through these systems.
Performs additional functions (essential or otherwise) which may be assigned from time to time.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires the use of equipment such as video/monitor receivers, computer-aided telephones, radio and dispatch systems to review information and check the status of particular events; operates TTD telephone for the hearing and speech impaired. Requires the ability to communicate effectively to obtain and record information from the caller. Ability to simultaneously perform multiple tasks. Ability to recognize potential life and safety hazards or other critical aspects and to dispatch accordingly for effective coverage of the incident. Ability to maintain composure and to deal effectively with people in emergency situations. Involves contact with staff and police personnel and various other emergency responders.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: The E-9-1-1 PSAP/Communications service center is highly secured enclosed area. Incumbents must remain at the assigned work station except for designated break and lunch periods and are not allowed to leave their radio dispatch position without a relief dispatcher. Since incumbents perform duties in close proximity with each other, background noise from calls received by other incumbents may be distracting.
- Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Must not have been convicted of or pleaded guilty to or entered a plea of nolo contendere to any felony charge or to any violation of any federal or state laws or city ordinances relating to force, violence, theft, dishonesty, gambling, liquor or controlled substances.
- For those who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States, type of release/discharge must be “honorable”.
- High school graduate or equivalent; must type at least 25 words per minute typing score on tests designated by Personnel; must successfully pass a battery of psychological tests, a Structured Interview Board, reading test, and dispatch test; must have effective written and interpersonal skills; geographical knowledge of the City of Memphis is preferred; or any combination of experience or training which enables one to perform the essential job functions.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be willing to work various shifts, holidays and rotate days off. Must obtain State of Tennessee certification on the NCIC/TIES/NLETS systems as a public safety dispatcher within one (1) year of employment and must maintain such certification as a condition of continued employment. Bilingual abilities strongly preferred.
POLICE RADIO DISPATCHER APPLICATIONS CAN BE PICKED UP AT THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS:
- MEMPHIS POLICE TRAINING ACADEMY, 4371 OK Robertson Road, Memphis, TN 38127
- CRIMINAL JUSTICE CENTER (CJC) – 12th Floor, 201 Poplar Avenue, Memphis, TN 38103
Nine (9) POLICE STATIONS
- OLD ALLEN STATION – 3633 New Allen Road, Memphis, TN 38128
- RAINES STATION – 791 East Raines Road, Memphis, TN 38116
- MORIAH STATION – 2602 Mt. Moriah Road, Memphis, TN 38115
- CRUMP STATION – 949 E. H. Crump Blvd, Memphis, TN 38104
- TILLMAN STATION – 426 Tillman Street, Memphis, TN 38112
- SOUTH MAIN STATION – 545 South Main, Suite 216, Memphis, TN 38103
- AIRWAYS STATION – 2234 Truitt Street, Memphis, TN 38114
- APPLING FARMS STATION – 6850 Appling Farms Parkway, Memphis, TN 38133
- RIDGEWAY STATION – 3840 Ridgeway Road, Memphis, TN 38115
Visit www.MPDacademy.com to download and print an application if you reside 80 miles outside of Memphis, TN
For additional information, please contact the Memphis Police Department Training Academy at 901-357-1700
IMPORTANT – APPLICANT MUST SUBMIT THE COMPLETED APPLICATION PACKET IN-PERSON TO:
Place: Memphis Police Training Academy
4371 O.K. Robertson Road, Memphis, TN 38127
Dates: Thursday, May 28th, 2015 – Friday, June 12, 2015 (excluding Saturday & Sunday) No applications will be accepted after Friday, June 12, 2015 @ 12:00 noon.
Time: 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 p.m.